Mikhail A LEBEDEV
Senior Research Scientist, Department of Neurobiology,
Duke University (Durham, North Carolina, USA)
Areas of expertise:
brain-computer interfaces, primate neurophysiology
There was a time when I wanted to be a physicist just like my parents, so I applied to the Faculty of General and Applied Physics of Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology. It happened so that I joined a research group that studied living systems and subsequently developed an interest in the mechanisms of brain activity. I am very grateful to Victor Gurfinkel, my teacher, who invited me to his laboratory. I was very interested in recording signals directly from the brain (by implanting an electrode into the monkey’s brain), so I moved to the States in 1991 after the Iron Curtain had collapsed. Since then I have been studying the neurophysiology of the primates. Over the past 5 years I have been focusing on invasive brain-computer interfaces and made a certain contribution to some breakthroughs in this area. I hope that my most important discoveries are yet to come, and perhaps they will be done in Russia.
- Opris I, Lebedev MA, Nelson RJ. Neostriatal neuronal activity correlates better with movement kinematics under certain rewards. Front Neurosci. 2016 Aug 5; 10: 336. DOI: 3389/fnins.2016.00336.
- Yin A, An J, Lehew G, Lebedev MA, Nicolelis MA. An automatic experimental apparatus to study arm reaching in New World monkeys. J Neurosci Methods. 2016 May 1; 264: 57–64& DOI: 1016/j.jneumeth.2016.02.017.
- Schwarz DA, Lebedev MA, Hanson TL, Dimitrov DF, Lehev G, Meloy J, et al. Chronic, wireless recordings of large-scale brain activity in freely moving rhesus monkeys. Nat Methods. 2014 Jun; 11 (6): 670–6. DOI: 1038/nmeth.2936.
- Pais-Vieira M, Lebedev M, Kunicki C, Wang J, Nicolelis MA. A brain-to-brain interface for real-times sharing of sensorimotor information. Sci Rep. 2013; 3: 1319. DOI: 1038/srep01319.
- Ifft PJ, Shokur S, Li Z, Levedev MA, Nicolelis MA. A brain-machine interface enables bimanual arm movements in monkeys. Sci Transl Med. 2013 Nov 6; 5 (210): 210ra154. DOI: 1126/scitranslmed.3006159.
- O’Doherty JE, Lebedev MA, Li Z, Nicolelis MA. Virtual active touch using randomly patterned Intracortical microstimulation. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2012 Jan; 20 (1): 85–93. DOI: 1109/TNSRE.2011.2166807.
- O’Doherty JE, Lebedev MA, Ifft PJ, Zhuang KZ, Shokur S, Bleuler H, Nicolelis MA. Active tactile exploration using a brain-machine-brain interface. Nature. 2011 Oct 5; 479 (7372): 228–31. DOI: 1038/nature10489.
- Li Z, O'Doherty JE, Lebedev MA, Nicolelis MA. Adaptive decoding for brain-machine interfaces through Bayesian parameter updates. Neural Comput. 2011 Dec; 23 (12): 3162–204. DOI: 10.1162/NECO_a_00207.